Chicken Tikka Masala
There are a lot of spices in this recipe, but it's easier than it looks. I usually make up the marinade the night before. Serve with rice.
Preparation time: 1/2 hour
If making additional portions, reduce yogurt by 1/2. Cooking time will increase significantly.
Chicken and Marinade
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (olive oil, corn oil, doesn't matter)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinammon
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (or cayenne pepper)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (a 6 oz can)
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 1 clove garlic, chopped (or equivalent)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- dash of nutmeg
- Cut chicken into small pieces (bite-size).
- Combine yogurt, oil, lemon juice, and spices.
- Add chicken and stir to coat. Marinate in refrigerator at least 15 minutes, up to overnight.
- Cook chicken/yogurt mixture in frying pan or wok over high heat. Stir frequently for 5-6 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated and chicken is firm and white.
- Turn heat down to medium, add tomato paste and garlic. Slowly stir in cream to create a thick sauce. Stir in nutmeg and cumin.
Modified from "Chicken Tikka" in the book Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen by Kevin Mills.
Apple Walnut Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups apples - peeled, cored, and shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease one 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and 1 egg until smooth. Beat in second egg, and stir in vanilla. Stir in shredded apples.
- Pour flour mixture into batter; stir until just moistened. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes, then remove from pan and place on a rack to cool.
Modified from AllRecipes.com
Easy Peasy Peanut Butter Cookies
Makes 15-20 cookies
- 2 cups peanut butter (one full 16-18 oz jar)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 cups (or less) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (or less) shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line cookie sheet(s) with foil.
- Combine all required ingredients in mixing bowl at low speed. Mix for 30 seconds on medium speed to make more fluffy cookies.
- Mix in any optional add-ins.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow lots of space between cookies. Cool for 5-10 minutes before peeling the cookies off the foil.
Adapted from Allrecipes.com